This 'blog has moved! The new address of the Multnomah Villager is where it should have been all along, at www.multnomahvillager.com. I have moved the blog off of Blogspot and into Wordpress and addeed some new structure and category features. Please come see me there and I hope you keep reading. Thanks for all the visits, comments and everything else through the last year. I will continue to post here as well as on the new site for a month or two, but it's time to update your links. Click here to visit the new site and here is the new RSS Feed address.

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

It's "Disc Golf" - Frisbee is a brand name.

Yeah, OK, I always say "Frisbee Golf" too. And actually, I rarely say either since my choice of disc sports is Ultimate (definition). But Disc Golf (definition) is today's topic, inspired by a question over at Jack Bog's Blog, where a lot of my hits have been coming from lately. I saw this question and said to myself.... "Hey! We've got one of those near Multnomah Village!"

Yes indeed we do. You might notice the odd-looking poles with baskets and chains hanging from them, among the trees alongside SW Capitol Hill Road, or see them from the parking lot of the Greater Portland Bible Church. You may have wondered what those things are for. You may have witnessed guys stalking around with multiple small frisbee-like discs in their hands (although, unlike the traditional frisbees, Disc Golf discs are more solid, more like a discus).

You're looking at part of the amusingly named Portland Lunchtime Disc Golf Course. A short walk from the Village, the course curves around the Church's parking lot and through the woods and farm area behind the Church. It is a 12 hole course.

Here's a link to a course map

Here's the website of the course, although I must say that since I am posting this post from my Mac PowerBook G4 and surfing with Safari, the layout of this page is not resolving correctly. It probably looks OK in IE, which I will check later.

Disc Golf is probably a sport that I would like. I love to throw frisbees, and I love getting my hands on new sets of gear, much to the chagrin of Mrs. Villager. We discovered this cource by accident one weeknight, as we were walking from the Village up to Baskin Robbins on Capitol Highway, and found ourselves traversing the course. There were a couple of players on one of the tees, and we watched a few throws. I'm not sure where a person goes to get Disc Golf discs locally, maybe someone can turn me on to that.