This 'blog has moved! The new address of the Multnomah Villager is where it should have been all along, at www.multnomahvillager.com. I have moved the blog off of Blogspot and into Wordpress and addeed some new structure and category features. Please come see me there and I hope you keep reading. Thanks for all the visits, comments and everything else through the last year. I will continue to post here as well as on the new site for a month or two, but it's time to update your links. Click here to visit the new site and here is the new RSS Feed address.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

I love me some Fat City

Stopped in to Fat City this morning for a quick breakfast. Fat City is bar far my favorite place to east breakfast in the Village. I am genetically drawn to these types of places, where you can sit at the counter (which I don't actually like to do) and listen to a bunch of old guys talk about whatever it is old guys at diners talk about, and have two eggs any style.

I especially like the fact that you can have pancakes rather than hash browns with your breakfast and even better yet, they let me swap out for french toast! I am decidedly lowbrow in my breakfast tastes, but very particular at the same time.

Fat City is the kind of place that has a line outside the door on weekend mornings, although it is not as backed up as Marco's. It's small, and you need to get there early, particularly on the weekend, if you want a choice of seating. The walls are covered with old road signs, license plates and various ephemera. As well as really well-done paintings of the staff.

One thing that always amuses me is the laminated placemats, which you sued to see lot more back in the day, they're maps of oregon that have little cartoons and facts about the different areas of the state. You can buy them for $2.50 each (just in time for Christmas!)

Oh yeah, no posting about Fat City would be complete without making the required mention of that time back in 1987 when then-mayor Bud Clark fired Police Chief Jim Davis over breakfast by saying "read my lips, you're fired." There. I've posted about it now, you all knew it was coming eventually. If you're a Portland history buff, you can sit in the Mayor's booth (there's a small plaque) and read the newspaper article about this famous historical event that put Multnomah Village on the map, way back when.