This 'blog has moved! The new address of the Multnomah Villager is where it should have been all along, at www.multnomahvillager.com. I have moved the blog off of Blogspot and into Wordpress and addeed some new structure and category features. Please come see me there and I hope you keep reading. Thanks for all the visits, comments and everything else through the last year. I will continue to post here as well as on the new site for a month or two, but it's time to update your links. Click here to visit the new site and here is the new RSS Feed address.

Friday, July 07, 2006

First Friday and the livin' is easy...


Well, the weather and my schedule have finally cooperated to give us a nice First Friday in the Village. Jr. V's at a sleepover (we'll see how long that lasts) so for the first time in recent memory, I could go to First Friday and NOT go to the toy store (sorry, Thinker Toys, it's only a matter of time....) In fact I started out at Sip D'Vine, where I picked up what hopefully will be a nice bottle of red as a thank you gift for a co-worker who has spent all day saving my behind. Canadian, eh? well, not so long ago I had never heard of Chilean wine either, and Aussie wines were merely the stuff of Monty Python parody, so we'll give this Canuck Merlot the benefit of the doubt.


There's music (and found object art) all over tonight.. There's flamenco-ish guitar is the wine store, a pedal steel outside Village Beads, the two young violinists (Ok one was probably a viola) outside Acapulco's and Jazz coming out of O'Connors. I dropped into Annie Bloom's to pick up a (trade paperback, yay!) copy of 1776 for my Dad's birthday, which was ages ago... and then walked up to see how the outdoor cinema was looking.


Despite this clumsily patched-together panorama shot, it was looking pretty good! As I suspected, they had the list of upcoming movies there (see below) and if you hurry - you can catch the tail end of "Shrek". There's quite a turnout, and perfect weather - considering it was like 40 degrees last night. The website is multnomahoutdoorcinema.org, by the way.

The movie list is as follows:
  • Friday July 7th - Shrek
  • Friday, July 21st - E.T.
  • Friday, August 4th - Raiders of the Lost Ark (Jr. V and I will definitely be at this one
  • Saturday, August 19th - TBA (they're taking votes)
Mrs. V will be happy that I voted for "Babe" - the Citizen Kane of talking pig movies, but it looks like Star Wars is making a strong running - this I'd be Ok with of course.

I ahve to give props to Riversgate Church who has made a generous donation of the use of their A/V setup for the outdoor cinema. Say what you will about these new-style churches, and I ahve, but this is a seriously generous thing. Rental of hard-core A/V projection equipment doesn't come cheap. I'm a video/interactive producer in "real life" and I'm painfully familiar with these costs. Thanks!

A nice evening for all, it appears.