This 'blog has moved! The new address of the Multnomah Villager is where it should have been all along, at www.multnomahvillager.com. I have moved the blog off of Blogspot and into Wordpress and addeed some new structure and category features. Please come see me there and I hope you keep reading. Thanks for all the visits, comments and everything else through the last year. I will continue to post here as well as on the new site for a month or two, but it's time to update your links. Click here to visit the new site and here is the new RSS Feed address.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Multnomah Village World War II Memorial

So I've often wondered what the plaque says that's under the tree at the left-had side of the parking lot of the Multnomah Center. On my way to the airport on Thursday (the reason for a few days of 'blog inactivity, I decided to find out.

It is a World War II memorial, apparently dedicated in May of 1946. The text reads:
This memorial is erected in honor of all men and women from this community who served God, country and the cause of freedom during World War II and under this plaque is an urn containing a parchment scroll of their names

"These have served and we have entered into the fruits of their service"

May 19, 1946



Interesting. May 19, 1946 was my Dad's 7th birthday.

The quote is clearly from something but after much Googling I cannot find its source. If anyone can enlighten me, please do.


There's also quite an exuberant pumpkin patch (at least they look like pumpkins to the Villager's untrained eye) right on the corner here. This should be intresting to watch as Oregon's much delayed summer passes to fall.