This 'blog has moved! The new address of the Multnomah Villager is where it should have been all along, at www.multnomahvillager.com. I have moved the blog off of Blogspot and into Wordpress and addeed some new structure and category features. Please come see me there and I hope you keep reading. Thanks for all the visits, comments and everything else through the last year. I will continue to post here as well as on the new site for a month or two, but it's time to update your links. Click here to visit the new site and here is the new RSS Feed address.

Sunday, August 07, 2005

The Multnomah Village Cornerstone

So on the way home the other night, I noticed anew that Multnomah Village has yet anouther plaque set in a large stone, similar to the World War II Memorial I posted about the other day.


This one, I am calling the Multnomah Village cornerstone. Although I must point out that it does not exactly inhabit a space of honor in the neighborhood, being tucked behind the Key Bank sign on the corner of 35th and Multnomah. Still, I hopped out of the car the other morning with my camera to find out just what this stone was for, and what the plaque said.


The text reads as follows:
MULTNOMAH

Established in 1908 as a freight passenger station on the newly completed Oregon Electric Railway that ran between Portland and Salem, it was located a block south on the N.W. Corner of 35th & Multnomah Blvd.

Multnomah's first U.S. post office was installed in 1912 in the Nelson Thomas Store, thereby giving the community and official identity.

Marker erected by Kiwanis Club of Southwest Hills

Dedicated September 25, 1976.

The Nelson Thomas General Store was in the building that is now occupied primarily by Marco's Cafe, and a number of massage therapists and other professional offices.