This 'blog has moved! The new address of the Multnomah Villager is where it should have been all along, at www.multnomahvillager.com. I have moved the blog off of Blogspot and into Wordpress and addeed some new structure and category features. Please come see me there and I hope you keep reading. Thanks for all the visits, comments and everything else through the last year. I will continue to post here as well as on the new site for a month or two, but it's time to update your links. Click here to visit the new site and here is the new RSS Feed address.

Monday, August 08, 2005

Thinker Toys: How have I not posted about this sooner?

Multnomah Village is home to one of Oregon's best toy stores. Thinker Toys has got lots of toys intended to spark creativity, etc. but manages to avoid the intellectual stuffiness that usually accompanies such a mission. There's a huge selection on Thoas the Train stuff, lots of costumes and puppets, a wide selection of frisbees, flying things of all descriptions, Legos, and the types of European toys that I always associated with rich kids when I was younger.

The friendly staff will gift wrap things for you, and doesn't seem to mind when Jr. Villager hands over a roll of quarters to pay for something.

Jr. Villager's drug of choice is Playmobil.

Thinker Toys has a good selection of Playmobil, in fact they've increased the amount of sets they stock in recent months. Also, they have some of the bagged pieces, which are cool if you're trying to fill out a particualr setting or something. Still though, I wish they had a larger selection of smaller sets - since it is sorely tempting for Jr. Villager whenever he goes in there and is faced with the large mega-sets, which are NOT on our impulse buy list.

Thinker Toys has a very wide selection of games and I've often stumbled across organized chess games in the back. One of the things that I like about them is that the store is not chock-full of licensed properties. They have the important stuff, like Star Wars Legos, but if you want the latest Cartoon Network characters or a bunch of Disney stuff, better stick with Toys R Us, or the fantastic Toy Bliss in Pioneer Place and Lake Oswego.

My toy store drug of choice is Magic: the Gathering, and although Thinker Toys has a few booster packs, I've recently discovered Alternate Universe (who really should have a web site) in the Hillsdale Shopping Center up by the Liquor store, which is an incredible place to get your fix - if your interest in games runs towards role playing games or CCGs.

And I cannot post this without mentioning that Thinker Toys has a website, although it is not updated, and I must admit - not a shining example of graphic design excellence. Still - the information is there. Perhaps the folks at Thinker Toys should contact the Villager - I'll do a new website in exchange for some Playmobil!