This 'blog has moved! The new address of the Multnomah Villager is where it should have been all along, at www.multnomahvillager.com. I have moved the blog off of Blogspot and into Wordpress and addeed some new structure and category features. Please come see me there and I hope you keep reading. Thanks for all the visits, comments and everything else through the last year. I will continue to post here as well as on the new site for a month or two, but it's time to update your links. Click here to visit the new site and here is the new RSS Feed address.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

JK Hills Antiques calling it quits

Oh man, I'm driving home last night and was surprised to see a "Going out of Business" sign on JK Hills Antiques! After 29 years! This place has been a cornerstone of the Village ever since I've lived in Portland. They're the white sort of triangular building right on the corner of 35th and Capitol, next to Renner's, with the nice green fence.

About that fence... Mrs. V and I were walking through the village one very snowy day back in '98 or '99 (was that the year it snowed on Christmas Eve?) and were crossing the street from the Acapulco's side toward JK Hills just in time to watch a bus fail to negotiate the corner onto Troy and slide through the OLD fence. Lucky they stopped before ending up on the sidewalk.

The "new" fence looks much better. It has proven to be bus-proof so far.

I've been into JK Hills a few times, although I am not really an "antique" type. They have, or had, and excellent selection of Beleek china, which my mother is really into. I better drop in before they close and see if there are any choice deals.

Wow - that's going to leave a big empty space!